Our volunteers play a vital role in supporting The Cat Protection Society of Victoria staff with the day-to-day care of the cats and kittens who seek refuge at our shelter. Although previous experience in animal handling is not a pre-requisite to becoming a volunteer, a passion for animal welfare and a commitment to the goal of our Society (to ensure that every cat has the opportunity for a loving, safe and healthy home) is important.
We have a range of volunteer opportunities available at various times throughout the year including roles in the following areas:
- Adoption Shelter (animal attendants and back of house) *
- Foster Care *
- Gardening *
- Marketing/admin support *
- Events *
- Café *
- Community Outreach *
* indicates volunteer positions currently available in this area
Volunteers who would like to assist at the Society must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be motivated and committed
- Be able to commit to a minimum of one 3-hour shift per week/fortnight for a minimum of 6 months (relevant for most volunteer roles)
- Be able to follow and comprehend instructions and work with minimal supervision
- Be comfortable interacting with the public and other staff/volunteers
- Be aware of and agree with the relevant policies and procedures as included in the Cat Protection Society Volunteer Handbook which will be provided at a Volunteer Induction Session
- Dress in line with the Cat Protection Society Uniform Policy
- Must have had a tetanus vaccination within the last 10 years and be able to provide medical documentation of your vaccination
- Must have an up to date COVID vaccination
* Volunteering in the Adoption Shelter often includes the need to bend, kneel or stand on steps to clean cat condos. It also includes lifting and transporting cats in their carriers so please keep this in mind when considering applying for this role.
If you would like to express your interest in becoming a volunteer with our Society, please complete a Volunteer Application Form by clicking the link below.
A member of our team will then be in touch to discuss your application.